Viper Truck Registry & Research Forum

Go Back   Viper Truck Registry & Research Forum > Archive > Off Topic > Lounge

Lounge Off Topic discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

Registry ID#:: VTR-0505
Viper Power: 5714
ViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond repute

That still to long to wait..... for your engine to return home
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
Ronnie
Supporting Vendor
Viper Truck Owner

Viper Power: 1236
Ronnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
That still to long to wait..... for your engine to return home
The machine shops that used to thrive in our area are long gone. So, that means shipping engines elsewhere to get quality work done. Sad but true, and with the popularity of crate engines, it also puts the remaining engine machine shops in even more jeopardy. On the subject of crate engines (ANY make), there is no way in hell I would install one without taking it all apart and checking everything out. Some of them are REALLY sloppily put together!! Particularly in the head prep and valve train assembly.

When I was younger, I put a lot of faith in the knowledge of the machine shops for advice and the people that ran them knew what they were talking about. Now, you are largely on your own. For example I won't go with any more than a .020" overbore on a Gen III (as they start to overheat with a .030") but WHERE do you go for that kind of information these days? Trail and error can be an expensive pain in the butt..

So... I don't mind the wait because when I get it back, I will check it all over during a mock-up assembly and make sure it is as good as it can be.

Last edited by Ronnie; 02-19-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

ViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond repute

Thats too bad, still to long to wait
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Ronnie
Supporting Vendor
Viper Truck Owner

Ronnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats too bad, still to long to wait
I haven't had it out for 3 years so I'm just fine with a couple more months.
Besides when I'm playing drums, I can dream up new cam profiles before I actually put the engine back in...

So I have REALLY been taking my time and enjoying the "ride".
I am really quite surprised it made decent power like it did for all of the little things I've found wrong so it should work well once all those "cumulative negatives", have been resolved.

A really good performing pump-gas engine in a heavy vehicle like these trucks is trickier to "design" than a full-on race engine.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Wifey
Super Moderator
2012 Viper Truck of The Month
Viper Truck Owner

Registry ID#:: VTR-0997
Viper Power: 3718
Wifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Oh, on a re-read, I can see where there may have been some confusion. I meant April 31st....
Oh, Derrrrr
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
Wifey
Super Moderator
Viper Truck Owner

Wifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
The machine shops that used to thrive in our area are long gone. So, that means shipping engines elsewhere to get quality work done. Sad but true, and with the popularity of crate engines, it also puts the remaining engine machine shops in even more jeopardy. On the subject of crate engines (ANY make), there is no way in hell I would install one without taking it all apart and checking everything out. Some of them are REALLY sloppily put together!! Particularly in the head prep and valve train assembly.

When I was younger, I put a lot of faith in the knowledge of the machine shops for advice and the people that ran them knew what they were talking about. Now, you are largely on your own. For example I won't go with any more than a .020" overbore on a Gen III (as they start to overheat with a .030") but WHERE do you go for that kind of information these days? Trail and error can be an expensive pain in the butt..

So... I don't mind the wait because when I get it back, I will check it all over during a mock-up assembly and make sure it is as good as it can be.
I like your ethics and standards. Hard to find these days
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #22
Wifey
Super Moderator
Viper Truck Owner

Quote:
Dad, your getting Laid either tonight or 02/20/2013

Glad I could help
please make it tonight. The thought of that occuring on 997's birthday is kinda uhhhhh well creepy
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
Ronnie
Supporting Vendor
Viper Truck Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
I like your ethics and standards. Hard to find these days
You caught the 31 days in April, eh?

I just do this for a hobby and not a living. The automotive industry seems to be ripe with B.S. and exaggerated claims (not much new there).
The "hand-built" engines are really all over the map with regards to power production. I'm not picking on just Dodges here, the new Shelbys are the same. Why IS THERE a 50+ horsepower spread on a brand-new, hand-built Shelby engine? Hmmmmm.

Really, the performance of some of these vehicles is all over the map. Every engine is different, true, but WOW, they really vary a great deal with the power they are producing (or not) and it continues to be a morbid curiosity of mine..

On a more positive note, it is quite easy to go really fast these days, if that is what someone wants. Gotta love the technologies out there!

And...I appreciate the compliment!

Thanks...

(Tuesday night ramblings in The Viper Registry Forum Lounge)

Last edited by Ronnie; 02-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
please make it tonight. The thought of that occuring on 997's birthday is kinda uhhhhh well creepy
I'll wait a few days and make it closer to this weekend. Dad has been without for so long he won't notice either

Ronnie, I view what you do different than others. As I read, I can see a carefully thought out path where time, never seems to be a factor

Want creepy?????
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
Wifey
Super Moderator
Viper Truck Owner

Quote:
I'll wait a few days and make it closer to this weekend. Dad has been without for so long he won't notice either

Ronnie, I view what you do different than others. As I read, I can see a carefully thought out path where time, never seems to be a factor

Want creepy?????
thanks Jeffey
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Silverback
Registry Contributer

Viper Power: 3380
Silverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Want creepy?????
As long as mom doesn't find out I'm okay.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

I have no idea what your typing about
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
VPRPWRD
Super Moderator-Registry Contributor
Viper Truck Owner

Viper Power: 1659
VPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond reputeVPRPWRD has a reputation beyond repute

under 1,000 to go, the end of this month is very possible.

My YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEsMsFATkTJq3k-BM26PfAg

Follow me on Instagram: VPRPWRD

#1357 of 3057 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 SOLD!
#2718 of 3057 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
#0851 2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 RC SOLD!
VPRPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

Pretty bummmmmmmmed right now, Ronnies first guess might be right