Viper Truck Registry & Research Forum

Go Back   Viper Truck Registry & Research Forum > Archive > Off Topic > Lounge

Lounge Off Topic discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Riff
Registry Member

Viper Power: 538
Riff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Updates from the Unknown..

As some of you, well, maybe most of you know, (and I am only repeating this for the ones that might not, so sorry if I am repeating myself here), ...where was I?..Oh yeah...I started working in the Particle physics lab at Cornell, doing R and D type stuff..mostly design and detailing of their projects, and CAD management stuff...
Anyway, On the other site I started posting different things I have been doing, and decided to start a thread about it here..Some have expressed interest in the things I am involved in, while others yawn, and still more scratch their head, and say "huh?'...
Anyway, heres a recent article about some stuff we are doing.
These are the parts of Cornell's efforts to build a new linear accelerator, and use as a test bed for future upgrades at CERN, and other accelerator projects around the world.

Electron accelerator scientists report breakthroughs

By Anne Ju
Cornell scientists have surpassed two major scientific milestones toward proving the technology of a novel, exceedingly powerful X-ray source.

For more than a decade, Cornell scientists have been conducting research and development for an Energy Recovery Linac (ERL) electron accelerator that would produce X-ray beams 1,000 times brighter than any in existence.

The university ultimately hopes to use ERL technology to upgrade the Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS), one of five U.S. national facilities for hard X-ray synchrotron radiation research.

The National Science Foundation provided $50 million for 2006-14 to build instrumentation for prototyping and testing ERL concepts proposed by the Cornell team of faculty, students and collaborators. Specifically, the program goals are to prove that electron beams of unmatched quality could be created and accelerated to continuously produce X-ray beams with the laserlike property of coherence. No such X-ray source presently exists.

Cornell's ERL team is now reporting that its prototype electron injector is producing beams with a so-called emittance of 0.8 micrometers -- the smallest ever recorded from an electron source of this type. The injector is the key component needed to make an ERL work by creating electron beams that are tightly packed and traveling at nearly the speed of light. The emittance is a measure of how tightly packed the electron beams are.

This small emittance, say the scientists, proves that the ERL could produce X-ray beams focused down to exceedingly small volumes, allowing investigation of materials with unprecedented precision and speed.

In another breakthrough for the ERL project, the scientists have built and tested a prototype seven-cell superconducting radio frequency (SRF) cavity. SRF cavities are needed to accelerate the electrons from the injector to very high energies in order to produce the X-rays. The SRF cavities are operated at -456 F (-271 C), just 2 degrees above absolute zero temperature.

The Cornell researchers' SRF cavity has met the first performance specifications necessary to continuously power a high intensity ERL. It has been tested in a vertical cryostat at the required temperature and electric field gradients -- a significant milestone because it proves the cavities can perform at high power while within the scientific and cost parameters of the project.

The team must now demonstrate the efficacy of their cavities in horizontal tests, which will take place in 2012.

"These developments go a long way toward proving that an ERL X-ray source will work as predicted by simulations and theory," said Sol Gruner, director of CHESS.
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Wifey
Super Moderator
2012 Viper Truck of The Month
Viper Truck Owner

Registry ID#:: VTR-0997
Viper Power: 3710
Wifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond reputeWifey has a reputation beyond repute

This is so exciting! Thank you for sharing

How in the heck are you doing !!! Good to see you
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Silverback
Registry Contributer

Viper Power: 3373
Silverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond reputeSilverback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just amazed when I think back what you were going through a few years ago.

Way to fucking fight and come out on top.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
TheSickness
Whorelord

Viper Power: 596
TheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond repute

You are still a shitty driver Howya doin

TheSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Riff
Registry Member

Riff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond reputeRiff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
This is so exciting! Thank you for sharing

How in the heck are you doing !!! Good to see you
Thanks,,
Im doing pretty well..lots going on...I am also designing a 145,000 sq ft pharmaceutical plant for the company in PA that fired me 4 yrs ago..They bought a new building and asked me to design the new plant for them..

How are you guys doing?..Good to see you too..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Riff
Registry Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
I'm just amazed when I think back what you were going through a few years ago.

Way to fucking fight and come out on top.
Thanks John..I couldnt have made it through all that shit without you guys being there to listen to me whine..No horseshit..as Timmy D would say..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Riff
Registry Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSickness View Post
You are still a shitty driver Howya doin
Yeah yeah...Hows the foot there stumpy?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
TheSickness
Whorelord

TheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond reputeTheSickness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Yeah yeah...Hows the foot there stumpy?
Eh it's still attached Ya Fuckin Fuck Got Joey Mags over here now.....He said you're move to NY saved your Pennsyltucky lovin ass too

Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Riff
Registry Member

lol...yeah..in more ways than one actually...Still feels like Pennsyltucky here though..
Ithaca is 10 sq miles surrounded by reality...I like it...hehe
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
TheSickness
Whorelord

Quote:
lol...yeah..in more ways than one actually...Still feels like Pennsyltucky here though..
Ithaca is 10 sq miles surrounded by reality...I like it...hehe
Miss you a great deal Bro...Wish you posted up more here though

Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

Registry ID#:: VTR-0505
Viper Power: 5707
ViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is WOW....

Proof positive the power of the collective prayer works. I'm happy each time you post with what going on and the success's your having

This thread I will look forward too

Jeff
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Riff
Registry Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSickness View Post
Miss you a great deal Bro...Wish you posted up more here though
I will..I have alot going on, and even though I dont have alot to say, for fear of sounding like a dork, I still read alot of whats going on..trying to keep up is difficult with you guys though..lol..

I might be doing some traveling in the Spring, so we will see where things take me..you never know when I might drop in for a visit...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

ViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond reputeViperJeff has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would be cool
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Riff
Registry Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
All I can say is WOW....

Proof positive the power of the collective prayer works. I'm happy each time you post with what going on and the success's your having

This thread I will look forward too

Jeff
Thanks Jeff..I appreciate that, and look forward to my next birthday when you call me again..lol...
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
ViperJeff
Registry Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Jeff..I appreciate that, and look forward to my next birthday when you call me again..lol...
I've missed a few haven't I.....