View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #119
Stag Stopa
New

Viper Power: 0
Stag Stopa will become famous soon enoughStag Stopa will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: As the Viper Community Turns II

Hi Jeff,

I'm German and when I acquired my Viper I was so enthusiastic to be a proud member of this awesome community ... I was shocked and sad when I learned how things with VOA and VCA evolved stateside and what became of the once united fandom. As 'outsider' and someone who came new to the game (2021) I decided to keep my distance ... I still posted at all 3 forums (ViperAlley, VCA and VOA) that my Viper is stationed in good 'ol Germany. I don't mean to nag around, but in my opinion it was and is sad that such a small community got divided by stupid stuff.
However I wasn't able to dive to deep into what happened in the states and who's who ... a accident on the Autobahn (Belgium workes switched lanes with their commercial vehicle without watching out) made me spend my time differently.

I spend more than a year repairing my Viper and hat to learn so much more sad truths ... how many Vipers were scrapped, how shitty of a company FCA/Stellantis is for NOT providing even basic spare parts whilst boasting around with their 'new' halo cars ...... I'm still a little bit upset, confused and sad about that. In my opinion the Viper is an almost perfect supercar (because it is that 'simple') - everybody can work on it and the basis is more than good ... the plattform is in fact so good that it still would be competitive around the world - but that's not happening because of lacking support :-(
Anyways. I just wanted to say: I fully understand your ups and downs and I'm both: happy that I got my Viper but also sad that there isn't enough recognition of it. The fanbase is split, the manufacturer scorns and ignores it (I wonder if Demon owners have to buy parts from the junkyards too once their cars got older than 5 years?) and most people just don't know how capable, special and rare Vipers are. I regulary work on cars of all makes and I can tell you: the Viper is one of the most straight-forward constructions I've ever seen ... not as overengineered as German cars, jammed together like the JDMs or unreliable as the Italians. One of the things I hate most is the VW-company with all their sub-brands ... especially Audi and Lamborghini charge much money for cars that had every mechanic running and seeking cover. And of course Porsche ... yeah, there is serious engineering at play and I respect their achievments, but hell - dealing with the community requires some special ... attitude ... and money ... and image.
On the other hand: Porsche got what we (probably) will never have - a history that IS alive and even more important: they make sure to keep it alive. Just imagine Mopar would offer 'out of stock' parts like fender supports, body panels or headlights via their webshop - the spirit of the Cobra/Viper would be so much more alive. Offer kit cars, frames, engines and (most important) some suspension parts (that took me some time!) and the Viper wouldn't vanish that soon. But of course - they can't do that because everybody would see the contrast to the modern stuff - all image, (almost) no credibility side-by-side. The same goes for the new Ms, AMGs and almost every modern 'supercar' - purity was lost long ago ... downsizing (I worked as dyno operator in engine devolpment btw), new laws and pampered customers have switched the game - what once was important (weight, just necessary electronics, RWD, manual, NA power with much torque and quick response) was replaced by luxury, assistants, digital cockpits and stuff like that.

Anyways. I wish you a great week,
Kevin
Stag Stopa is offline   Reply With Quote